The Waiver Wire – Week 9
Welcome to week 9 everyone!! We are only 4 weeks away from the end of the regular season and the year of the backup continues to roll on. This year almost more than any time I can remember it has shaped the landscape of fantasy football and I am sure you have seen the impact it’s had on your individual leagues. Gone are the days of setting your lineup and forgetting about. Now to be a successful GM it’s a 24hr around the clock job that requires you to be in tune with every injury, every change at a pivotal position and every trade and act before the other people in your league do. That is why technology is great and it allows you to get all the fantasy news and notes pushed right to your smartphone including this article!! So let go of the mouse, put down your third cup of coffee and sit back and enjoy.
Remember this week we have another 6 teams on Bye. The Patriots, Cardinals, Bears, Bengals, Texans, and Redskins all have the week off so plan accordingly.
Like always I will give 3 choices at each position (plus bonus’s from time to time). This is ranked in order of who I would target first to third. At the end of the day you control your waiver rankings, so go get the guy you want! Without further hesitation let’s dive right into this weeks The Waiver Wire.
- Dak Prescott (ESPN 66% / Yahoo 62%) – Dak has been a solid fantasy starter all year long and on Sunday night he might have played his best game of the season. At home with Dez Bryant back Prescott threw for 287 yards 2 touchdowns and added 38 yards on the ground and another score. Dak is the starter for the season so buy in and oh ya Cleveland is up next.
- Ryan Tannehill (ESPN 16% / Yahoo 22%) – This isn’t Tannehill’s first rodeo on the waiver wire and don’t get me wrong he hasn’t been spectacular at all this season but the Jets are on deck and it’s at home. If there is ever a time to have a breakout game this is it. Not my 1st option but not a bad one either.
- Joe Flacco (ESPN 23% / Yahoo 23%) – Flacco is back and up next his the Ravens bitter rivals the Steelers. Flacco hasn’t been good as of late but like Tannehill, the matchup could prove to be what he needs to be fantasy relevant once again. The game is at home and it looks like Steve Smith Sr. is going to be back. I like Joey Flock of Segals to throw for 250 yards and 2 touchdowns.
- Charcandrick West (ESPN 7% / Yahoo 10%) – The news of Jamaal Charles heading to the IR for a second knee surgery just broke and Spencer Ware is nursing a concussion which he suffered in the 3rd quarter of Sunday’s game. We all know that the Chiefs love to run the ball and if Ware can’t pass concussion protocol then West could be in line to have a great day.
- Tim Hightower (ESPN 2% / Yahoo 6%) – The soap opera which is the Saints and Mark Ingram has reached a tipping point. Sunday after Ingram fumbled in the 1st quarter and was benched in favor of Tim Hightower. Tim played the whole game and wasn’t overly impressive but it was the Seahawks the Saints were facing. This week they head into a beautiful matchup against the 49ers with a full-fledged RBBC in place. Maybe Ingram starts maybe he doesn’t but Hightower is a great bye week plug because as of now he is going to get his touches and San Francisco is giving up the most points to running backs so far.
- Darren Sproles (ESPN 60% / Yahoo 56%) – The NEW starting running back in Philidelphia!! Or is he? No word on whether or not Sproles will be starting heading into Sunday’s game against the Giants but if Sunday Nights game is any indication then you have to assume he will be. He led the team with 15 carries for 86 yards and added 5 catches for 17 yards on top of that. Always a great duel threat back, Sproles might finally get his shot to be the lead back for a team. Don’t know if his small frame can take it but I am looking forward to the ride.
*BONUS: Antone Smith (ESPN 1% / Yahoo 1%) – The Bucs play Thursday night at home against Atlanta and Doug Martin has already been ruled out and Jacquizz Rodgers is nursing a sprained foot. It looks Smith will get the start against a very beatable rush defense. Not a great option but in deeper leagues, it might be your only one.
- Mohammed Sanu (ESPN 47% / Yahoo 54%) – Sanu looked great again leaving the game against the Packers with a stat line of 10/9/84/1. That 1 touchdown being the game winner! Love this play especially has big time WR weapons are on Bye’s this week. It also helps that the Falcons get to play the Bucs on a short week. I love Sanu to continue to see large target volumes and to deliver.
- Quincy Enunwa (ESPN 57% / Yahoo 45%) – Enunwa in his first full game back with Ryan Fitzpatrick came away with a stat line of 11/4/93/1. Quincy led the team in targets and scored once again making it back to back weeks finding the end zone. The Jets skill position players values rise with Fitzpatrick under center and with no Decker Quincy is going to be left to prove himself week in and week out. If he can get open the ball is coming his way.
- DeVante Parker (ESPN 52% / Yahoo 59%) – Parker has been a major disappointment this year and has been virtually nonexistent the past month on the fantasy radar but the Jets have a way of bringing your name out of the grave. That and they are giving up the 4th most points to WR’s this year. Just like Tannehill, this is the game for Parker to come back onto the fantasy scene at home.
*BONUS: Corey Coleman (ESPN 32% / Yahoo 42%) – Still no word on if Corey Coleman is going to play Sunday against the Cowboys but he says he is ready to go. I love that McCown is back under center and I think Coleman could be a difference maker for a team and maybe give them a nice playoff run. Coleman is a great add, especially for deeper bench leagues.
- Antonio Gates (ESPN 66% Yahoo 67%) – Old man Gates is back on the fantasy scene after posting back to back weeks of 9 targets or more. He also was able to find the end zone last week his 3rd of the season and his 2nd in three weeks. Henry is the future but Gates isn’t going down without a fight and he wants that all time Touchdown record. This week the Bolts face the Titans and Gates and Henry should have no problems getting open.
- Dennis Pitta (ESPN 48% / Yahoo 44%) – Pitta like Gates has been rejuvenated these past two weeks and Pitta has seen 10 targets in both games. Flacco is looking his way and Pittsburgh is giving up the 10th most points to TE’s this year. Pitta has as good a shot as any at getting into the end zone this week and maybe even cracking 80 yards.
- Cameron Brate (ESPN 35% / Yahoo 42%) – Brate was in our Waiver Wire article last week and he didn’t disappoint. Cameron delivered with a 3/22 but got the all important touchdown! He ended up finishing as the 11th best TE in week 8. Lineup him up again on a short week against a Falcons defense who has given up the 4th most fantasy points to TE’s this year.
*BONUS: Austin Hooper (ESPN 1% / Yahoo 1%) – It’s now Hooper’s turn to show us what he can do. First Hunter Henry took the fantasy world by storm maybe Hooper can do the same. Hooper has already been named the starter against the Bucs on Thursday Night as Jacob Tamme injured his shoulder Sunday afternoon. Hooper looked good hauling in all 5 of his targets for 41 yards. Look for Hooper to excel as coverage continues to go Julio Jones’s way.
- Carolina Panthers (ESPN 67% / Yahoo 75%) – Great matchup last week and they delivered. They have a great matchup this week on the road against the Rams and they should once again deliver. Case Keenum might not make it through this game.
- Atlanta Falcons (ESPN 10% / Yahoo 11%) – A LOT of Falcons talk this week but when you face the Buccaneers you deserve to be talked about. Tampa is terrible and the good teams usually role in the Thursday night games. I like the Falcons to bounce back defensively this week.
- Miami Dolphins (ESPN 4% / Yahoo 4%) – Ryan Fitzpatrick is injury prone and it’s only a matter of time before he throws a pick 6 or has a game changing fumble this weekend. Love the Dolphins at home to clear their projection.
- Caleb Sturgis (ESPN 23% / Yahoo 17%) – The Wentz led Eagles are moving the ball with regularity and Sturgis has been converting his opportunities when he gets them. The Giants have let Field Goal kickers feast against them all year and I don’t see that changing Sunday.
- Dan Bailey (ESPN 83% / Yahoo 60%) – The highest rated kicker on the list this week but he should be owned in 100% of them the way he is playing! Bailey is pretty much automatic and he is 9th in the NFL in scoring currently. Dan Bailey has scored 12 points or more in each of his last two starts. Look for another double digit day against the Jamie Collins led Cleveland Browns defense.
- Will Lutz (ESPN 1% / Yahoo 2%) – Lutz’s road vs away splits are a bit scary but the 49ers are too inviting an opportunity to pass on Sir Lutz. The Saints high-powered offense should be able to move the ball fairly easily against the beat up 49ers defense which will give Will Lutz plenty of opportunities to change those home vs away splits.
Well there you have it, The Waiver Wire is in the books for this week. I will see you all next Tuesday for another edition! Remember to send us your lineup questions on Twitter @TFFGurus, @DaFantasyFather, and @TheFantasyBoys. Or shoot us an email at email@example.com or check our Facebook page called The Fantasy Football Gurus. We’re here to help you, and if you need more Gurus, be sure to listen to our weekly podcasts by checking out Trophy Time on Google Play, Sticher Radio, and iTunes.