The Waiver Wire – Week 7
As the Sunday games came to a close I slammed my laptop closed in frustration as I had lost yet another game due to an injury to one of my star players. Injuries happen and they do not discriminate but we all know how frustrating it is to go through the week to put the best team out there and for the outcome to be decided by an injury. Injuries ran Wild in week 6 and just like me your matchup may have been decided by one of them. Big Ben went down with a knee injury and underwent surgery Monday and will be out two weeks at least, Davonta Adams & Randall Cobb both got hurt but it looks only Adams will miss the Thursday night game against the Bears with a concussion, Dwayne Allen left the game with an ankle injury, Eddie Royal once again is down this time with a toe injury, Carlos Hyde came back into the game but was seen with his arm in a sling today, OBJ has a hip pointer but came back into the game and should be ok.
By far the biggest blow was the loss of Roethlisberger so all the Big Ben owners we have some work to do this week on the waiver wire. This week the Carolina Panthers and Dallas Cowboys fall victim to the Bye, so plan accordingly. If you are like me and like to plan ahead 6 teams are on bye in week 8 and in week 9! Now might be as good a time as any to use The Waiver Wire to plan for your future losses.
With that being said let’s see who you need to be targeting this week in The Waiver Wire. Like always I will give 3 choices at each position (plus bonus’s from time to time). This is ranked in order of who I would target first to third. At the end of the day you control your waiver rankings, so go get the guy you want! Without further hesitation let’s dive right into this weeks The Waiver Wire.
- Alex Smith (ESPN 37% / Yahoo 28%) – Smith is the #1 QB to target not because of the statistical dominance he displayed Sunday but for the stretch of competition he has on tap. Home against NO, at Indy, home vs Jacksonville, away vs Carolina, and back home vs Tampa Bay! Big Ben owners look here!! No one in my league read this!!
- Colin Kaepernick (ESPN 9% / Yahoo 9%) – Kap came back and didn’t look too bad. He threw his first touchdown pass in 364 days and looked better than Blaine Gabbert. I am not saying he is perfect but his ability to run the ball make him a better Fantasy QB option than a real one. Not a bad pick up if you are in a pinch.
- Case Keenum (ESPN 2% / Yahoo 3%) – WTF! Who was that under center for the Rams Sunday afternoon? Keenum has gone from giving us the worst QB performance of week 1 to the best performance of week 6 and both times the Rams lost! The Rams offense dare I say looks to be on to something and clicking. Last ditch flyer if you are in 12+ team or 2 QB league.
- Jay Ajayi (ESPN 42.7% / Yahoo 32%) – Back to back weeks with a touchdown and you explode on a then 4-1 Pittsburgh Steelers to the tune of 204 yards rushing! That will make you the #1 waiver claim add every time. Foster came back and Ajayi still out-touched him 25-6 and looks to be the Dolphins lead back moving forward.
- Spencer Ware (ESPN 79% / Yahoo 64%) – Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, which Chiefs running back will start this week I don’t know. Charles is back and says’s he is 100% but Ware still saw the majority of the work and outperformed him because of it. He is either the lead back for the season or a great trade chip either way you win.
- James White (ESPN 49% / Yahoo 57%) – Until Dion Lewis (mentioned below) comes back White can be started every week that Brady is behind center. Brady loves his check down shifty third back so much so that he put up 8/47/2 on the Bengals. This week he faces the Steelers and their defense which is allowing the 5th most points through the air this season!!
*BONUS: Jacquizz Rodgers (ESPN 30% / Yahoo 23%), Devontae Booker (ESPN 30% /Yahoo 27%) and Dion Lewis (ESPN 22% / Yahoo 26%) – Doug Martin might not play again this week so that puts Rodgers in line for another start. Booker, we mentioned last week and now Kubiak comes out today and says he wants to get him more involved in the offense. In the he is available to play soon category Dion Lewis is almost ready to return and he will not only take James White’s role but potentially the starting job in New England.
- “Compton” Kenny Britt (ESPN 13% / Yahoo 13) – Compton Kenny is back in full effect and with the emergence of QB Case Keenum the Rams offense is clicking through the air. Britt has seen 14 targets over the past 2 games and has 211 yards and 2 TDs over that same span. Britt is the #1 receiver on a team that has some very favorable matchups as we inch closer to the fantasy playoffs.
- Ty Montgomery (ESPN 1% / Yahoo 2%) – Montgomery came in after Davante Adam’s left the game Sunday due to a concussion and proceeded to put up a 10/98/0 on 12 targets! With the quick turnaround for the Packers playing on Thursday night against the Bears, there is little chance Adams will be able to play this week. Which opens the door for Montgomery to feast against a middle of the road Bears secondary.
- Mohamed Sanu (ESPN 38% / Yahoo 30%) – As a dynasty owner of Sanu I was pleasantly surprised by his performance Sunday in Seattle. 5/47/1 on 10 targets is what I expect in the volume bucket week in and week out from the #2 beside Julio Jones. As teams continue to play the falcons they are going to have to lean on Sanu to win in 1 on 1 situations. I think Sanu could be in for a solid second half of the season if he can consistently win in those situations.
- Hunter Henry (ESPN 50% / Yahoo 37%) – Last week he was the #1 TE to target and again he is the #1 TE to target. His percentage owned increased in Yahoo but dipped in ESPN! I am making it my personal mission to make his percentage tip past 70% by next week’s article on both platforms. Best TE available PICK HIM UP! 12 / 13/ 14 is what he has scored in standard scoring leagues the last 3 weeks. Enough said.
- Jack Doyle (ESPN 7% / Yahoo 12%) – With the loss of Dwayne Allen, Doyle’s number was called on to take over the starting duties and he didn’t disappoint. He has been outplaying Allen (who is not good) the past 3 weeks but he finally got his moment to shine. In that moment he put up 6/83/1 on 8 targets and he scored in his 3rd straight game. Allen looks to be sidelined for a week or two with the rolled ankle and up next is the Falcons who have given up the 4th most points to TE’s this year. If Henry is gone Doyle is a great pick up to stream.
- Charles Clay (ESPN 25% / Yahoo 24%) – I’ve always been a fan of Charles Clay but this year he has definitely struggled no doubt about it. He hasn’t found the end zone yet and that is the only thing granted not small that has kept him off most people’s fantasy radar. Sunday, he lead the Bills in targets and faces a leaky Miami Dolphins secondary this week. Look for him to finally find the end zone and break double digits in points.
- Baltimore Ravens (ESPN 47% / Yahoo 34%) – The Ravens are not a great defense but the matchup is perfect! The Jets come in as the highest scoring team for defenses in fantasy football and they are playing terribly. Also, Geno Smith might be the starting QB. START…START….START!
- Cincinnati Bengals (ESPN 70% / Yahoo 48%) – Bengals owners you can start your defense this week with confidence that they will come through for you. If you are like me and dropped them two weeks ago because of forecasted schedule well you can pick them back up! Cleveland = defense points and it’s at home where the Bengals put up the most points of the season this year 13 back in week 4.
- San Francisco 49ers (ESPN 2% / Yahoo 2%) – OK this one is a long shot but hear me out. Tampa Bay even though they are coming off a bye has been turning the ball over a lot per game. The only team who has turned the ball over more…the New York Jets. This game is in San Francisco and I don’t think they score 30 or anything but I think you can get 7 to 10 from the Niners this week. Not the #1 or #2 option or maybe #3 but serviceable if you are left with scraps in your league.
- Mason Crosby (ESPN 73% / Yahoo 65%) – First, this game is on Thursday Night with little time for teams to prep and could either be a shootout or a kicking duel. Secondly, the Packers are bad on offense right now, not bad that they can’t move the ball but bad in scoring touchdowns. Third, the Bears are not a great defense and should mean plenty of opportunities for Crosby to continue his double-digit scoring streak.
- Cairo Santos (ESPN 12% / Yahoo 39%) – This is a hot fire GREAT matchup for your boy Santos. New Orleans has a terrible defense and the Chiefs as we know are a good team. Give your boy Santos some EP and FG tries and watch him score a 15 burger!
- Josh Lambo (ESPN 22% / Yahoo 29%) – I love everything about the Chargers offense right now and that includes Josh Lambo. The offense looks like they can move the ball on anyone and this week Lambo gets to kick in the dome, which is every kicker’s dream circumstance. He is a great kicker with an even better first name and he should see a good amount of chances in what is shaping up to be a shootout.
Well there you have it, The Waiver Wire is in the books for this week. I will see you all next Tuesday for another edition! Remember to send us your lineup questions on Twitter @TFFGurus, @DaFantasyFather, and @TheFantasyBoys. Or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or check our Facebook page called The Fantasy Football Gurus. We’re here to help you, and if you need more Gurus, be sure to listen to our weekly podcasts by checking out Trophy Time on Google Play, Sticher Radio, and iTunes.